What are the consequences of diastasis recti?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
The consequences of the diastasis are both cosmetic and functional. Cosmetically, the belly bulges forward. This is almost always combined with excess skin and fat on the abdominal wall. Functionally, the rectus muscles are the most important stabilizers of the front of the spine. When they drift laterally, the alignment of the chest, abdomen and pelvis is altered. The chest bends back, developing a condition called "lordosis," the belly bulges forward, and the buttocks drift backwards. In addition, the external oblique muscles insert into the rectus muscles and lose their normal tone. That hurts the efficiency of that muscle.

The combination of this situation is poor posture, low-back pain and decreased abdominal strength.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Take Charge for a Healthy Pregnancy and Baby
During pregnancy, a developing fetus is tuned-in to Mom -- reacting to her voice, tasting the food she ate for dinner, feeling her sway as she walks a...
What questions should I ask when selecting a hospital for giving birth?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
If you are considering giving birth in a particular hospital, look at its website and/or go on a tou...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
Can I Exercise During Pregnancy?
Can I Exercise During Pregnancy?