What is Centering Pregnancy?

Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing

Centering Pregnancy moves prenatal care from the exam room into group space to integrate the three major components of care: health assessment, education, and support. Eight to twelve women with similar due dates meet together, learning self-care skills, participating in a facilitated discussion, and developing a support network with other group members. Each pregnancy group meets for two hours for ten sessions throughout pregnancy and early postpartum. The practitioner, within the group space, completes standard physical health assessments.

Through this unique model of care, women are empowered to choose health-promoting behaviors. Health outcomes for pregnancies include reduced preterm birth, enhanced knowledge, improved breastfeeding initiation and duration, and in all studies, significantly improved patient satisfaction with prenatal care.

Centering Pregnancy groups provide a dynamic atmosphere for learning and sharing that is impossible to create in a one on one encounter. Hearing other women share concerns which mirror their own helps the woman to normalize the experience of pregnancy. Groups are also empowering as they provide support to the members and also increase individual motivation to learn and change. Professionals report that groups provide them with renewed satisfaction in delivering quality care.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What You Can (and Can’t) Eat During Pregnancy
Two years ago, I was working overnights in the ER, drinking grande lattes and enjoying a multi-course sushi dinner for a friend’s bachelorette …. two ...
What medications should I avoid if I'm pregnant or trying to get pregnant?
Here's a list of medications you should avoid while pregnant: Accutane for acne. Aspirin: In rar...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
Can I Prevent Problems with Pregnancy After Age 40?