What is Centering Pregnancy?

Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing

Centering Pregnancy moves prenatal care from the exam room into group space to integrate the three major components of care: health assessment, education, and support. Eight to twelve women with similar due dates meet together, learning self-care skills, participating in a facilitated discussion, and developing a support network with other group members. Each pregnancy group meets for two hours for ten sessions throughout pregnancy and early postpartum. The practitioner, within the group space, completes standard physical health assessments.

Through this unique model of care, women are empowered to choose health-promoting behaviors. Health outcomes for pregnancies include reduced preterm birth, enhanced knowledge, improved breastfeeding initiation and duration, and in all studies, significantly improved patient satisfaction with prenatal care.

Centering Pregnancy groups provide a dynamic atmosphere for learning and sharing that is impossible to create in a one on one encounter. Hearing other women share concerns which mirror their own helps the woman to normalize the experience of pregnancy. Groups are also empowering as they provide support to the members and also increase individual motivation to learn and change. Professionals report that groups provide them with renewed satisfaction in delivering quality care.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What Not to Worry About When You’re Expecting
I’ll never forget the two weeks in the middle of my pregnancy when my husband and I were waiting for the results of a repeat ultrasound. I’d already h...
How do I choose the right OBGYN?
Tessie M. Larrieu, MDTessie M. Larrieu, MD
In this video, Tessie Larrieu, MD, in obstetrics & gynecology at Mercy Hospital explains how women s...
How is squatting helpful for me during pregnancy?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
One particular exercise that is helpful to pregnant women is squatting. Squatting is the natural pos...
How Soon After Giving Birth Can I Have Sex?