What causes sciatic pain during pregnancy?

You can get back pain for a number of reasons during pregnancy, but one common form comes from the baby pushing on the sciatic nerve - which run from your spine to your upper and eventually lower legs - causing pain, numbness, and tingling in the back and all the way down the leg. These pains feel more like knives than the dull, throbbing pains that come with muscular strains.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

One More Reason to Be Healthy During Pregnancy
There’s a tabloid term - pregorexia – that describes a mother-to-be on a starvation diet. Nicole Kidman (2 kids) and Victo...
Is it normal for a pregnant woman's body temperature to rise?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
It is common for a woman’s body temperature to change during pregnancy. During pregnancy the woman's...
Why do my feet get bigger during pregnancy?
Dr. Stephen E. Clark, DODr. Stephen E. Clark, DO
Swelling in the feet and legs is very common during pregnancy, and it occurs for a number of reasons...
Can I Prevent Problems with Pregnancy After Age 40?