What causes sciatic pain during pregnancy?

You can get back pain for a number of reasons during pregnancy, but one common form comes from the baby pushing on the sciatic nerve - which run from your spine to your upper and eventually lower legs - causing pain, numbness, and tingling in the back and all the way down the leg. These pains feel more like knives than the dull, throbbing pains that come with muscular strains.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What is hypnobirthing?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Hypnobirthing is a specific method of hypnosis and awareness practice for birth. Many proponents cit...
What causes the increase in breast size during pregnancy?
You may know that your breasts will increase in size during pregnancy, but it may help to know a lit...
What are some of the risks of multiple pregnancies?
A woman with a multiple gestation pregnancy is more likely to develop complications during her pregn...
What Are the Risks for Pregnancy After Age 40?