What causes sciatic pain during pregnancy?

You can get back pain for a number of reasons during pregnancy, but one common form comes from the baby pushing on the sciatic nerve - which run from your spine to your upper and eventually lower legs - causing pain, numbness, and tingling in the back and all the way down the leg. These pains feel more like knives than the dull, throbbing pains that come with muscular strains.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

A Healthy Pregnancy Starts Before Conception
The Midas myth is a powerful allegory: A man can turn everything he touches into gold—but will starve to death since he cannot eat gold. The U.S. is o...
If my pregnancy bump is narrow, am I having a boy?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
This pregnancy myth is about as accurate as those that try to predict a baby's gender based on wheth...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
When Is the Proper Time to Tell Your Child They Have a Sibling On the Way?