What are benefits of amniocentesis?

Potential benefits of amniocentesis include:
  • Highly accurate genetic test results. Amniocentesis is more than 99% accurate in detecting genetic disorders in a fetus.
  • Detection of neural tube defects. Amniocentesis can detect about 99% of neural tube defects (such as spina bifida).
  • Detection of abdominal wall defects. Amniocentesis can detect most abdominal wall defects.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

How Safe Are OTC Meds During Pregnancy?
How Safe Are OTC Meds During Pregnancy?
Women naturally worry about taking any over-the-counter (OTC) medications during pregnancy for fear of harming their baby. But there’s an exception to...
What should I do once I have decided to go ahead with pregnancy?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
If you decide to carry your pregnancy to term, it is important to seek medical care now. Stop using ...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
Can I Exercise During Pregnancy?
Can I Exercise During Pregnancy?