If I am pregnant with multiples is there a higher risk for complications?

Louise E. Sivak, MD
Pediatrics

Twin or higher number of fetuses puts them in the "higher risk" category. Twins are typically smaller than singletons of the same gestational age and tend to be born earlier, smaller, and have statistically a higher risk of certain complications, such as twin-to-twin transfusion. Twin pregnancy is typically monitored a bit more frequently with ultrasound and other measures to try to ensure the health of the mother and her twin babies.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Male Postpartum Depression is Real
Male Postpartum Depression is Real
Michael Keaton, in the 1983 film Mr. Mom, put a new face on the stay-at-home dad who wades into the responsibility—and let’s face it, the down-right v...
How long does a normal pregnancy last?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
A normal low-risk pregnancy can last anywhere from 38 to 41 or 42 weeks
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How Soon After Giving Birth Can I Have Sex?