What is the best position to sleep in when I'm pregnant?

Carol Ash, DO
Pulmonary Disease

Your sleep position can be surprisingly important when you're pregnant. In this video, internist and sleep medicine expert Carol Ash, DO, discusses the best sleep position for pregnant women.

I know you're not going to lie on your stomach as your belly grows and you enter the second trimester, but I do want you to avoid lying flat on your back. That's because when you do so, the weight of your uterus compresses the blood vessels that are feeding the placenta, creating a drought in the blood lake.

Lying on your left side is better than lying on your right side because it allows more blood to flow to the uterus. Either side is better than lying on your back, because when you do, you compress a large vein called the vena cava. The pressure from that compression reduces the flow of blood back to your heart as if you were bending a water hose, and that decreases the blood flow to your uterus and to your baby.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

6 Surprises in the First Trimester
6 Surprises in the First Trimester
This past spring, as the only physician in the ER, I delivered a family’s healthy, beautiful baby right there in the critical care room. I’ve spent th...
How soon after giving birth can I exercise?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Although you may be eager to shed any weight gained during pregnancy, be prepared to allow your body...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How May Nursing My Baby Affect My Libido?