What is the best position to sleep in when I'm pregnant?

I know you're not going to lie on your stomach as your belly grows and you enter the second trimester, but I do want you to avoid lying flat on your back. That's because when you do so, the weight of your uterus compresses the blood vessels that are feeding the placenta, creating a drought in the blood lake.

Lying on your left side is better than lying on your right side because it allows more blood to flow to the uterus. Either side is better than lying on your back, because when you do, you compress a large vein called the vena cava. The pressure from that compression reduces the flow of blood back to your heart as if you were bending a water hose, and that decreases the blood flow to your uterus and to your baby.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Treating the 6 Worst Skin Problems During Pregnancy
Anyone who’s been pregnant knows that it’s one of the conundrums of pregnancy -- you have sudden changes to your skin (could be multiple, occasional, ...
What can I do to work out after giving birth?
Mary ChappellMary Chappell
After vaginal delivery you can start out by walking and working out as soon as you feel like it (for...
How can pregnancy transform my identity?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Whether you are single or in a committed partnership, over forty or in your teens, rich or poor or m...
What is the centering pregnancy model?
Some doctors and certified nurse-midwives follow a model for group prenatal visits called Centering ...