What are some of the risks of multiple pregnancies?

A woman with a multiple gestation pregnancy is more likely to develop complications during her pregnancy than a woman with a singleton pregnancy. Multiple gestation pregnancies increase the risk to both mother and fetuses:

Maternal risks:

• Anemia due to increased fetal demands
  • Pregnancy induced hypertension
  • Preterm labor due to over-distension of the uterus
  • Cesarean delivery
  • Post-partum hemorrhage

Fetal risks:

• Stillbirth
  • Preterm birth
  • Congenital anomalies
  • Malpresentation and difficult birth
  • Cord accident
  • Intrauterine growth retardation

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Mom Brain Explained
If you’ve ever been pregnant or spent time around expectant or new moms, you may have noticed increased lapses in memory, fatigue, absentmindedness or...
What exercises help prepare me for labor and delivery?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Regular exercise during pregnancy helps to maintain cardiovascular health, core body tone and mainta...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How May Nursing My Baby Affect My Libido?