How does prolactin affect me during pregnancy?

During pregnancy, the placenta secretes a chemical called prolactin, which attaches to dopamine receptors on brain cells. Prolactin seems to turn on addicting elements in the brain, thus making you, for example, want to eat more food. But it also seems to have a protective element as well; it's likely the chemical that helps you tolerate dramatic body changes and not have as much anxiety over them as you would under different circumstances.

Prolactin stimulates your endorphin system so you feel less pain and feel more able to ignore minor anxieties. This is part of the process of learning to revel in the miracle of pregnancy and to appreciate both the sexiness and saintliness that comes along with it.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

The Importance of Post-Partum Weight Loss
It took Reese Witherspoon eight weeks; Uma Thurman six weeks; and Heidi Klum hit the Victoria's Secret runway five weeks after delivering her fourth c...
What is the amniotic sac?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
The amniotic sac is a thin-walled pair of membranes that contains the fetus and amniotic fluid durin...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum Treated?
How Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum Treated?