How do I deal with overbearing in-laws when I'm pregnant?

Just as you're longing to care for this new life, your mom or mother-in-law is also longing to help, to pass along wisdom. Intentions may be good, but those words of wisdom can be more annoying than a broken remote control - and that can cause some serious tension. Because these cracks can become caverns, you may need to think about strategies for dealing with your relationship with your mother. Of course, one option is to talk about issues. But here's another thought: Sometimes, it might be okay to put some distance between you - to help reduce anxiety during a naturally stressful time. At the opposite end, if you, for instance are not close to your mother or have lost your mother, that can be a source of stress, too. And that's why it's important for you to find a surrogate - like a sister, aunt, or friend - who can help fill in a bit of the emptiness you may feel during this time.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What Not to Worry About When You’re Expecting
I’ll never forget the two weeks in the middle of my pregnancy when my husband and I were waiting for the results of a repeat ultrasound. I’d already h...
What is twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome?
Overland Park Regional Medical CenterOverland Park Regional Medical Center
Twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome (or TTTS) is a condition that arises in 10 percent of monochorioni...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
When Is the Proper Time to Tell Your Child They Have a Sibling On the Way?