How can I relieve leg cramps during pregnancy?

At different times during your pregnancy, you might have sudden muscle spasms in your legs or feet. They usually occur at night. This is due to a change in the way your body processes calcium.

Gently stretch muscles Get mild exercise For sudden cramps, flex your foot forward Eat calcium-rich foods Ask your doctor about calcium supplements This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center
Leg cramps can be a very common issue for ladies, and in pregnancy they're definitely more common. Some of it's because we are carrying more weight, so our leg muscles actually notice that. Some of it can be from deficiencies in our diet. I like to tell my patients that potassium can be very helpful, so eat more bananas. Calcium, found in dairy products, can sometimes be helpful. Magnesium can sometimes also be helpful, so you might want to look at your prenatal vitamin and see if that's part of your prenatal vitamin, and if not, talk to your care provider. Stretching the legs regularly can be very helpful. If you do get a leg cramp, you can massage that out, that's not going to harm anything. Also straightening the leg and flexing the ankle can be very helpful too.
Leg cramps during pregnancy can be caused by the pressure of the growing baby on the nerves in your legs and by normal changes in the calcium and phosphorus levels in the bloodstream. Massage, heat over the affected muscle and pointing your toes toward your knee can help relieve a leg cramp. You may also want to talk to your doctor about taking calcium supplements or other medications.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Mom Brain Explained
Mom Brain Explained
If you’ve ever been pregnant or spent time around expectant or new moms, you may have noticed increased lapses in memory, fatigue, absentmindedness or...
Why do I need to rest after I deliver my baby?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
The first few days at home after having your baby are a time for rest and recovery physically and em...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
What Are the Risks for Pregnancy After Age 40?