Is it possible to be pregnant and not know until delivery?

Although rare, it is possible to be pregnant and not be aware of it. There are different explanations of how this might be possible. Some women have very irregular periods and may not find it abnormal to not have a period for months on end. Some women may be overweight and not be aware of changes in body shape. It is possible that some women may just deny the idea that they are pregnancy. There are also some women who always take birth control, so they would not think they could be pregnant.
Jessica A. Shepherd, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
It is possible to be pregnant and not know until the baby is delivered, due to some unique factors. In this video, OB/GYN specialist Jessica Shepherd, MD, explains how a retroverted uterus can cause a cryptic pregnancy, or even a cryptic delivery. 

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Treating the 6 Worst Skin Problems During Pregnancy
Anyone who’s been pregnant knows that it’s one of the conundrums of pregnancy -- you have sudden changes to your skin (could be multiple, occasional, ...
Why do I need to rest after I deliver my baby?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
The first few days at home after having your baby are a time for rest and recovery physically and em...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
When Is the Proper Time to Tell Your Child They Have a Sibling On the Way?