Is it possible to be pregnant and not know until delivery?

Although rare, it is possible to be pregnant and not be aware of it. There are different explanations of how this might be possible. Some women have very irregular periods and may not find it abnormal to not have a period for months on end. Some women may be overweight and not be aware of changes in body shape. It is possible that some women may just deny the idea that they are pregnancy. There are also some women who always take birth control, so they would not think they could be pregnant.
Jessica A. Shepherd, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
It is possible to be pregnant and not know until the baby is delivered, due to some unique factors. In this video, OB/GYN specialist Jessica Shepherd, MD, explains how a retroverted uterus can cause a cryptic pregnancy, or even a cryptic delivery. 

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

The Downside of Elective C-Sections for Mother & Child
Singer -- and The Voice judge -- Christina Aguilera scheduled an elective Cesarean procedure ...
If my pregnancy bump is narrow, am I having a boy?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
This pregnancy myth is about as accurate as those that try to predict a baby's gender based on wheth...
What pregnancy screening tests do I need if I'm over 35?
Saint Agnes Medical CenterSaint Agnes Medical Center
A pregnant woman over age 35 may need more frequent prenatal visits or more screenings to rule out f...
What Medications Should I Avoid If I'm Pregnant or Trying to Get Pregnant?