Is it better to consult a doctor or a nurse-midwife for my pregnancy?

It is better to consult a doctor rather than a nurse-midwife for your pregnancy under certain circumstances. Some of these arise prior to or during pregnancy, some during the birth and some during the postpartum time. Some examples include chronic health conditions like high blood pressure or diabetes, preterm birth, twins, a baby being breech or known problems with the placenta. These are just a few examples and your healthcare provider will be able to tell you if your pregnancy requires collaboration with or transfer of care to a doctor. Even in these situations, it can be possible for the midwife to remain involved in your care.

This content originally appeared on http://www.livehealthyaustin.com/

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Mom Brain Explained
If you’ve ever been pregnant or spent time around expectant or new moms, you may have noticed increased lapses in memory, fatigue, absentmindedness or...
How can I feel intimate with my partner after childbirth?
Missey Moe-CookMissey Moe-Cook
Having the perineal tissues tear during childbirth happens quite often. There are ways to avoid a te...
If I'm pregnant in the Southeast U.S., how do I prevent getting Zika virus?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
If you are pregnant in the Southeast U.S., you can prevent getting Zika virus by not traveling to ar...
What Should I Avoid During Pregnancy?
What Should I Avoid During Pregnancy?