Is it better to consult a doctor or a nurse-midwife for my pregnancy?

It is better to consult a doctor rather than a nurse-midwife for your pregnancy under certain circumstances. Some of these arise prior to or during pregnancy, some during the birth and some during the postpartum time. Some examples include chronic health conditions like high blood pressure or diabetes, preterm birth, twins, a baby being breech or known problems with the placenta. These are just a few examples and your healthcare provider will be able to tell you if your pregnancy requires collaboration with or transfer of care to a doctor. Even in these situations, it can be possible for the midwife to remain involved in your care.

This content originally appeared on http://www.livehealthyaustin.com/

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Dad’s Health Plays a Key Role in Baby’s Health
In the movie, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Rick Moranis played the part of a Dad who did his kids more harm than good. But in real life, when his wife di...
How safe is it to clean out a litter box while pregnant?
It may not be safe to clean out a litter box while pregnant. It is best to avoid contact with cat fe...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How May Nursing My Baby Affect My Libido?