If I am pregnant, how can I help reduce back pain while sleeping?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
If you are pregnant, sleeping habits are major contributors to back pain. Often, the tensor fascia lata (TFL) and quadriceps muscles pull the pelvis into an anterior pelvic tilt (top of the pelvis tilts forward), which creates excessive lumbar lordosis (natural inward curve of the lumbar and cervical spine).

Put pillows under your knees to help relieve the pelvic tilt that causes your spine to arch. When sleeping on your side, pull your knees up to your chest to help reduce the excessive spinal extension and relieve pain. Putting pillows between your knees will help alleviate stress to hip muscles that can become irritated later. This also helps eliminate sciatic pain.

As your pregnancy progresses, your pelvis becomes wider in anticipation of the baby's birth. Sleeping on your side with wider hips subjects your spine to more side-bending and, therefore, rotation (a spinal movement whereby one vertebra rotates left or right in relation to another vertebra). This side-bending coupled with rotation can often impinge nerve roots that exit the spine, which compose the sciatic nerve (major nerve feeding the leg from the lumbar vertebrae to the back of the leg).

Typically, the spine will resist rotation at the least mobile vertebrae and instead side-bend and rotate at the most mobile segment(s). Lying on the other side doesn't cause pain because the spine's rotation favors that direction. A towel placed under your waist will diminish side-bending of the spine and therefore rotation and impingement of the nerve roots. When rolling over to the other side, the towel will again serve to neutralize the spine's side-bending and rotation. This can also reduce irritation of the sciatic nerve.
Fixing You: Back Pain During Pregnancy: Self-treatment for sciatica, back pain, SI Joint or pelvic pain, and advice for abdominal strengthening post partum.

Changes happen during pregnancy that not only lead to back pain during pregnancy but also afterward. Many of these changes affect the shape of the spine and tilt of the pelvis. Both of these...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Are Raw-Food Diets Dangerous If You’re Pregnant?
Who hasn’t read about Loni Jane Anthony, the pregnant woman who adheres to a raw vegan diet? According to reports, the 26-year-old Australian follows ...
What do I do if I have leg pain after having a baby?
It could mean a change in blood pressure, as well as the formation of a blood clot in your leg. Your...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
When Is the Proper Time to Tell Your Child They Have a Sibling On the Way?