If I'm pregnant, what are the risks to my baby and me if I'm Rh negative?

Rh factor is a protein that 85 percent of people have on red blood cells. These people are called "Rh-positive." If you belong to the 15 percent of the population that doesn't have the protein, you're known as "Rh-negative." Since Rh-positive individuals are in the majority, it is likely that your baby's father may be Rh-positive, so your baby may also be Rh-positive.

If you have Rh-negative blood and your baby's father is Rh-positive, you and your baby may develop health problems. To reduce this risk, your health care provider will offer you injections of Rho (D) immune globulin (RhoGAM) at or around 28 weeks of pregnancy. The drug prevents your body from recognizing Rh-positive cells so your body will not attack and destroy your baby's blood cells. After the baby is born, his/her Rh status will be determined and, if the baby is Rh-positive, you will be offered RhoGAM again. Receiving RhoGAM while pregnant will not harm you or your baby, even if, after delivery, the baby is found to be Rh-negative like you.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Treating the 6 Worst Skin Problems During Pregnancy
Anyone who’s been pregnant knows that it’s one of the conundrums of pregnancy -- you have sudden changes to your skin (could be multiple, occasional, ...
If my pregnancy bump is wide, am I having a girl?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
This pregnancy myth is about as accurate as those that try to predict a baby's gender based on what ...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
What Medications Should I Avoid If I'm Pregnant or Trying to Get Pregnant?