If my pregnancy bump is narrow, am I having a boy?

This pregnancy myth is about as accurate as those that try to predict a baby's gender based on whether mom suffers from morning sickness. The bump is the most protruding part of a pregnant woman's belly, but its position (high vs. low) and its width do not indicate the child's sex. In this case, the mother-to-be's build determines the bump's shape. The bump becomes "wide," spreading out to the sides, if a woman has a short torso; there simply is less room for the uterus to stretch upward as the baby grows, so the fetus sprawls out. The uterus and the bump stay narrow on a woman with a longer torso because there is more room for the baby to grow between the rib cage and the pelvis. The only true way to know the baby's gender is through an ultrasound or amniocentesis.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Fracking May Cause Developmental Defects
A study from the University of Missouri-Columbia has some scary health news about oil and gas hydraulic fracturing, also kno...
How can I feel intimate with my partner after childbirth?
Missey Moe-CookMissey Moe-Cook
Having the perineal tissues tear during childbirth happens quite often. There are ways to avoid a te...
Which vaccinations should I have during pregnancy?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
Some vaccines can and should be given during a pregnancy, while others, specifically the ones contai...
What Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum?
What Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum?