If my pregnancy bump is narrow, am I having a boy?

This pregnancy myth is about as accurate as those that try to predict a baby's gender based on whether mom suffers from morning sickness. The bump is the most protruding part of a pregnant woman's belly, but its position (high vs. low) and its width do not indicate the child's sex. In this case, the mother-to-be's build determines the bump's shape. The bump becomes "wide," spreading out to the sides, if a woman has a short torso; there simply is less room for the uterus to stretch upward as the baby grows, so the fetus sprawls out. The uterus and the bump stay narrow on a woman with a longer torso because there is more room for the baby to grow between the rib cage and the pelvis. The only true way to know the baby's gender is through an ultrasound or amniocentesis.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Mom Brain Explained
If you’ve ever been pregnant or spent time around expectant or new moms, you may have noticed increased lapses in memory, fatigue, absentmindedness or...
What Changes Can I Expect in My Body After Giving Birth?
Can I Drink Alcohol During Pregnancy?
Can I Drink Alcohol During Pregnancy?
What Should I Avoid During Pregnancy?
What Should I Avoid During Pregnancy?