How soon after giving birth can I exercise?

Although you may be eager to shed any weight gained during pregnancy, be prepared to allow your body time to recover from giving birth. Check first with your medical provider about beginning exercise. In general, if you had a vaginal delivery, you may begin mild exercise right away. If you had a cesarean, wait until after your six-week postpartum exam or until all abdominal tenderness has vanished; although you may climb stairs, avoid lifting anything heavier than your baby. Until your exam, exercise by standing up straight wearing sensible shoes, walking and holding in your abdominal muscles.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Mom Brain Explained
If you’ve ever been pregnant or spent time around expectant or new moms, you may have noticed increased lapses in memory, fatigue, absentmindedness or...
What can I do to work out after giving birth?
Mary ChappellMary Chappell
After vaginal delivery you can start out by walking and working out as soon as you feel like it (for...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
What Is the Centering Pregnancy Model?
What Is the Centering Pregnancy Model?