How can I relieve pain in my lower abdomen during pregnancy?

When your uterus and your baby grow larger during the latter half of pregnancy, you may experience lower abdominal pain or discomfort. One source can be constipation, which can be eased through adding fruits, raw vegetables, bran products, and lots of water to your daily diet. A sharp pain in either or both groin regions may be round-ligament pain. Round ligaments are cordlike structures beneath the groin region that extend to the top of the uterus on both sides. Sudden movements like rolling over in bed or walking may stretch or cause spasms of these ligaments, causing pain. Reducing physical activity, applying warm heat to the area, or using a pregnancy support girdle may help. If your pain is severe or continues, call your doctor.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

One More Reason to Be Healthy During Pregnancy
There’s a tabloid term - pregorexia – that describes a mother-to-be on a starvation diet. Nicole Kidman (2 kids) and Victoria Beckham (4 kids) are oft...
How can pregnancy transform my identity?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Whether you are single or in a committed partnership, over forty or in your teens, rich or poor or m...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
What Medications Should I Avoid If I'm Pregnant or Trying to Get Pregnant?