How can being pregnant affect my fingernails?

Hormones (as well as prenatal vitamins and a healthier diet) cause nails to grow a bit faster than usual during pregnancy. While some women's nails get harder, many women find that their nails get softer and break more easily. If so, protect your nails with rubber gloves with a cloth lining when you're doing any kind of hard-hand work, like washing dishes and gardening. It will also help to trim them short (which you'll want to do after the baby is born anyway).

If you choose to have your nails done at a salon, avoid places where there's a strong odor or where all the manicurists are wearing masks, and remember to bring your own instruments unless you are certain that the salon sterilizes its tools. You also want to avoid places that may use a chemical called MMA, which is highly toxic. If you do it at home, avoid polishes and removers that contain MMA or acetonitrile and make sure to paint your nails in a well-ventilated room.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Dad’s Health Plays a Key Role in Baby’s Health
In the movie, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Rick Moranis played the part of a Dad who did his kids more harm than good. But in real life, when his wife di...
What is hypnobirthing?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Hypnobirthing is a specific method of hypnosis and awareness practice for birth. Many proponents cit...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
What Changes Can I Expect in My Body After Giving Birth?