How does pregnancy affect the stomach muscles?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Everyone develops diastasis recti after pregnancy. That's a big, fancy medical term that describes the drifting apart of the rectus muscles, (your six-pack ab muscles) after expanding during pregnancy.

The condition is physiological, not pathological. That means that it is normal and expected. It's sort of the cost of doing business for your body. During pregnancy, the muscles drift to the sides (laterally) to make room for the developing fetus. It's kind of like suspenders on a man who gains weight - say from 150 to 250 pounds - the suspenders drift to the sides.  After pregnancy, the muscles do migrate back to the middle, as the skin shrinks and pressure inside the belly decreases. But they never quite reach the midline, as they were pre-pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What You Can (and Can’t) Eat During Pregnancy
Two years ago, I was working overnights in the ER, drinking grande lattes and enjoying a multi-course sushi dinner for a friend’s bachelorette … two n...
What should I do once I have decided to go ahead with pregnancy?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
If you decide to carry your pregnancy to term, it is important to seek medical care now. Stop using ...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How May Nursing My Baby Affect My Libido?