How can I minimize swelling during my third trimester of pregnancy?

A slight swelling of the lower legs, ankles and feet is common in late pregnancy. Hot weather and long periods of standing or sitting can make swelling worse. To help minimize swelling, get moderate exercise and wear loose clothing. Wearing support stockings and resting periodically with legs and hips elevated on a chair or sofa can also help. If swelling is sudden and severe, especially if you gain more than 2 to 3 pounds in a week, contact your doctor immediately.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Why More U.S. Women Are Dying From Pregnancy-Related Issues
Hundreds of women die each year from pregnancy-related issues and most of these deaths are preventable, according to the Centers for Disease Control a...
What can cause a protruding bulge in the upper abdominal region?
A protruding bulge in the upper abdominal region could signify a number of different conditions,...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How Can I Deal with Lack of Sex Drive While I'm Pregnant?