How can I minimize swelling during my third trimester of pregnancy?

A slight swelling of the lower legs, ankles and feet is common in late pregnancy. Hot weather and long periods of standing or sitting can make swelling worse. To help minimize swelling, get moderate exercise and wear loose clothing. Wearing support stockings and resting periodically with legs and hips elevated on a chair or sofa can also help. If swelling is sudden and severe, especially if you gain more than 2 to 3 pounds in a week, contact your doctor immediately.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What You Need to Know About Pregnancy After 35
More women are starting their families later in life: Nearly 10 percent of first-time moms are 35 or older. The reasons for these increases vary, but ...
How soon after giving birth can I exercise?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Although you may be eager to shed any weight gained during pregnancy, be prepared to allow your body...
How much should I eat during pregnancy to avoid excessive weight gain?
Stephen Clark, DOStephen Clark, DO
Probably the best way to approach diet during pregnancy is to recognize that you should have a b...
What is an ectopic pregnancy?
An ectopic pregnancy is an abnormal pregnancy which implants outside of the uterus. The most common ...