How should I set goals for treating back pain during pregnancy?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
It's easy to get down on yourself for not being in the shape you want to be in; that's why short- and long-term goals are helpful when treating back pain. They keep you on track, and they prevent you from berating yourself for not being further along.

Goals should be realistic and as specific as possible to be helpful. For instance, a short-term goal while pregnant could be to perform four, five-minute sessions each day during the next four weeks to eliminate your pain. A short-term goal postpartum could be to set aside five, two-minute sessions each day for three weeks to practice activating your abdominal muscles.

Long-term goals should also be specific; for instance, set a goal that in five weeks you'll maintain two, three-minute corrective exercise sessions each day to keep your pain at bay.
Fixing You: Back Pain During Pregnancy: Self-treatment for sciatica, back pain, SI Joint or pelvic pain, and advice for abdominal strengthening post partum.

Changes happen during pregnancy that not only lead to back pain during pregnancy but also afterward. Many of these changes affect the shape of the spine and tilt of the pelvis. Both of these...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Do You Know What Meds Are Safe to Take While Pregnant?
Pregnancy—even in our high-tech era—still seems a bit magical. So it’s not surprising that there have always been some pretty far-out ideas about what...
What should I keep in mind during pregnancy?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
The following are some of the pregnancy dos:See your doctor regularly. Prenatal care can help keep y...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How Can I Deal with Lack of Sex Drive While I'm Pregnant?