How do I get rid of excess saliva during pregnancy?

Frequently confused with vomiting, this condition is caused by excessive secretion of the salivary glands in the mouth. It is quite annoying and difficult to treat, but it tends to subside in the latter half of pregnancy. Snacks of crackers, frequent small meals, mints, and chewing gum can be helpful.
Some women develop so much excess saliva during pregnancy that they look like they belong in a baseball dugout rather than in a delivery room. In fact, they need to spit so much that they have to carry a spit cup around with them (they're unable to swallow it because they produce so much and because it can also trigger nausea). Because these women lose so much bicarbonate in their saliva, it actually disrupts their acid-base balance. It seems that chewing gum, peppermint, and hard candy can help, as does a transdermal scopolamine patch.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Babies Are Sleeping in Baby Boxes—Here’s Why
Baby boxes, a Finnish tradition that started in the 1930s, are now being used by parents in the United States. But what exactly is a baby box? Dependi...
When in my pregnancy should I start a Centering Pregnancy group?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Your first group session will be when you are about 14-18 weeks pregnant. You will have 10 sessions ...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How May Nursing My Baby Affect My Libido?