How much should I eat during pregnancy to avoid excessive weight gain?

Stephen Clark, DO
Family Medicine
Probably the best way to approach diet during pregnancy is to recognize that you should have a balanced diet and to eat healthy and avoid cravings that you know are unhealthy on a regular basis. If you understand that you only need an extra 100 to 300 calories a day, then that can help you gauge how much extra you eat each day. The other way to avoid excessive calories is to recognize that in general, simple carbohydrates in the form of sugars in sweets or excessive pastas and those kinds of things are going to result in a lot more calorie intake and weight gain.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

One More Reason to Be Healthy During Pregnancy
There’s a tabloid term - pregorexia – that describes a mother-to-be on a starvation diet. Nicole Kidman (2 kids) and Victo...
Which vaccinations should I have during pregnancy?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
Some vaccines can and should be given during a pregnancy, while others, specifically the ones contai...
What can cause a protruding bulge in the upper abdominal region?
A protruding bulge in the upper abdominal region could signify a number of different conditions,...
When Is the Proper Time to Tell Your Child They Have a Sibling On the Way?