How should I count my baby's kicks during pregnancy?

Try to do your kick count about the same time every day. Pick a time of day when you know your baby is active. The best time is after you eat a snack or meal. Sit in a chair with your feet up or lay down on your side. Make sure your baby is awake. If you are not sure, try pushing on your tummy. Walking around or drinking something cold can help too. Use a chart to write down the time you start counting. Count each movement as one kick. Kicks can be twists, turns, swishes, rolls and jabs. Count until you reach 10 kicks. Write down the number of minutes it took to count 10 kicks. It will take most moms less than 30 minutes, but it can take as long as two hours. After a week or two, you will see that the kicking varies from day to day, but for the most part the days seem similar. This will continue to be the case for a healthy baby.

It might be helpful to know that very rarely does a baby kick less than 10 times during a two-hour period. It is also important to note that all babies have regular sleep/wake cycles and your baby will sleep many times a day. However, even near the end of pregnancy, most babies do not sleep for longer than one hour at a time.

Ms. Kathryne A. LeMieux
Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine Specialist

Lie down in a quite spot after a meal and put both hands on your tummy. Count the number of kicks or movements you feel for one hour. You should feel at least 10 kicks in 1 hour if your baby is healthy and moving normally. If you don't feel your baby move—contact your doctor for follow up as soon as possible.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

The Importance of Post-Partum Weight Loss
It took Reese Witherspoon eight weeks; Uma Thurman six weeks; and Heidi Klum hit the Victoria's Secret runway five weeks after delivering her fourth c...
Treating the 6 Worst Skin Problems During Pregnancy
Anyone who’s been pregnant knows that it’s one of the conundrums of pregnancy -- you have sudden changes to your skin (could be multiple, occasional, ...
What is pregnancy?
Dr. Teneisha C. Davis, MDDr. Teneisha C. Davis, MD
Pregnancy is defined as the interval of time when an egg is fertilized to birth.  This process usual...
What Should I Avoid During Pregnancy?
What Should I Avoid During Pregnancy?