How can I cope with insomnia during pregnancy?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
During week 15, many women start to experience varying degrees of insomnia. Leg cramps and the need to urinate are common and can interrupt your sleep. You may also feel anxious about your pregnancy and your baby's health. Fortunately, there are some ways to treat your pregnancy insomnia. Reading or listening to soothing music can help. Having a massage is another good way to relax your mind and body. Gently stretching the calf muscles can help prevent leg cramps. If heartburn at night is keeping you up, avoid spicy, greasy, or acidic foods. Many over the counter sleep aids can be helpful and most are safe in pregnancy -- check with your provider to see which one he/she recomends.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What are the different types of ultrasound tests?
SwedishSwedish
Ultrasound tests are routinely performed throughout pregnancy. For high-risk patients, ultrasound te...
Why do my feet get bigger during pregnancy?
Dr. Stephen E. Clark, DODr. Stephen E. Clark, DO
Swelling in the feet and legs is very common during pregnancy, and it occurs for a number of reasons...
What medications should I avoid if I'm pregnant or trying to get pregnant?
Here's a list of medications you should avoid while pregnant: Accutane for acne. Aspirin: In rar...
What is a term pregnancy?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
In humans, singleton (one-baby) pregnancy lasts, on average, 40 weeks, or 280 days from the first da...