How common are multiple births?

Multiple births (twins, triplets or more) have become much more common in the United States over the past 20 years, according to the National Center for Health Statistics. The dramatic rise, especially in triplets or higher births, is associated with two related trends: advances in and greater access to assisted reproductive therapies like in vitro fertilization and more women having children at an older age (women in their thirties are more likely to have multiple births than younger women, even without the use of fertility therapies). The rate of triplet and higher births seems to be leveling off. Reasons include refinements in assisted reproductive techniques that lower the risk of multiple births.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Pot While Pregnant Harms Baby
Pot While Pregnant Harms Baby
Up In Smoke (Cheech and Chong, 1978) may have floated the hazy notion that smoking marijuana was harmless fun, but new research shows a woman’s chance...
What can I do if I have constipation during pregnancy?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Constipation is a common complaint for pregnant women. Drinking plenty of fluids, exercising daily, ...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How May Nursing My Baby Affect My Libido?