How should I care for my stitches after an episiotomy?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Remember the three "C's":  Comfort, Cleanliness and Circulation. For the first 24 hours after birth, cold in the form of an ice pack will help to decrease the swelling and pain. After the first 24 hours heat to the perineum will increase blood flow to the tissue. A portable sitz bath, placed on the toilet, is an ideal way to get warm water to the wound. To keep the area clean and to prevent irritation, use a squirt or “peri” bottle to flush the area with water after urination. The health care provider may order a topical ointment, spray or cream for the area to enhance comfort. In addition oral medication may be ordered for pain. It is important to report any temperature greater than 100.4 (F), intense pain in the perineum or inability to pass urine or stool. In about 2-4 weeks the episiotomy will heal and the stitches will be absorbed.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Treating the 6 Worst Skin Problems During Pregnancy
Anyone who’s been pregnant knows that it’s one of the conundrums of pregnancy -- you have sudden changes to your skin (could be multiple, occasional, ...
How can I ease heartburn during pregnancy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
One thing you can do to help reduce the amount of heartburn you have during pregnancy is avoid lying...
Is it possible to be pregnant and not know until delivery?
Although rare, it is possible to be pregnant and not be aware of it. There are different explanation...
Can Petite Women Safely Give Birth Vaginally?