How should I care for my breasts after giving birth?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Care for the breasts after childbirth is directly related to whether or not the mother will breastfeed. Breastfeeding care involves stimulating milk production. Nursing every two hours and allow the breasts to airdry. Making sure the infant properly "attaches" to the breast will prevent many complications related to breastfeeding.

For the woman that chooses not to breastfeed care will take the opposite approach. Wearing a snug bra continuously and avoiding any nipple stimulation. Applying cool compresses might relieve discomfort and turning away from the water while taking a shower will prevent stimulation.    

Medications used in the past to dry the milk glands are no longer used due to complications.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Treating the 6 Worst Skin Problems During Pregnancy
Anyone who’s been pregnant knows that it’s one of the conundrums of pregnancy -- you have sudden changes to your skin (could be multiple, occasional, ...
What questions should I ask when selecting a hospital for giving birth?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
If you are considering giving birth in a particular hospital, look at its website and/or go on a tou...
Why do women feel tired during pregnancy?
There are three primary factors that contribute to feeling tired during pregnancy. In the early half...
What Medications Should I Avoid If I'm Pregnant or Trying to Get Pregnant?