How are twins formed?

Twins form in one of two ways:

Identical twins occur when a single fertilized egg splits into two. Identical twins look almost exactly alike and share the exact same genes. Most identical twins happen by chance.

Fraternal twins occur when two, separate eggs are fertilized by two, separate sperm. Fraternal twins do not share the exact same genes — they are no more alike than they are to their siblings from different pregnancies. Fraternal twins tend to run in some families.

Multiple births can be fraternal, identical, or a combination. Multiples associated with fertility treatments are mainly fraternal.

This answer is based on the source infromation from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Dad’s Health Plays a Key Role in Baby’s Health
In the movie, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Rick Moranis played the part of a Dad who did his kids more harm than good. But in real life, when his wife di...
What Not to Worry About When You’re Expecting
I’ll never forget the two weeks in the middle of my pregnancy when my husband and I were waiting for the results of a repeat ultrasound. I’d already h...
If my pregnancy bump is narrow, am I having a boy?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
This pregnancy myth is about as accurate as those that try to predict a baby's gender based on wheth...
How should I care for my breasts after giving birth?
Care for the breasts after childbirth is directly related to whether or not the mother will breastfe...