What can I do if I face heartburn and indigestion during pregnancy?

Hormones and the pressure of the growing uterus cause indigestion and heartburn. Pregnancy hormones slow down the muscles of the digestive tract. So food tends to move more slowly and digestion is sluggish. This causes many pregnant women to feel bloated.

Hormones also relax the valve that separates the esophagus from the stomach. This allows food and acids to come back up from the stomach to the esophagus. The food and acid causes the burning feeling of heartburn. As your baby gets bigger, the uterus pushes on the stomach making heartburn more common in later pregnancy.

Eat 6 to 8 small meals instead of 3 large meals — eat slowly. Drink fluids between meals — not with meals. Don't eat greasy and fried foods. Avoid citrus fruits or juices and spicy foods. Do not eat or drink within a few hours of bedtime. Do not lie down right after meals.

Symptoms do not improve after trying these suggestions.

This information is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Moms-to-Be, Reduce Hypertension With Exercise
Kerry Walsh Jennings was pregnant with her third child when she won her third gold medal in volleyball during the 2012 London Olympics. Her husband jo...
What is a molar pregnancy?
Severe nausea during pregnancy isn't just associated with morning sickness. Severe nausea can also b...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How Soon After Giving Birth Can I Have Sex?