What can I do if I face fatigue and sleep problems during pregnancy?

During your pregnancy, you might feel tired even after you've had a lot of sleep. Many women find they're exhausted in the first trimester. Don't worry, this is normal! This is your body's way of telling you that you need more rest. In the second trimester, tiredness is usually replaced with a feeling of well being and energy. But in the third trimester, exhaustion often sets in again. As you get larger, sleeping may become more difficult. The baby's movements, bathroom runs, and an increase in the body's metabolism might interrupt or disturb your sleep. Leg cramping can also interfere with a good night's sleep.

Lie on your left side Use pillows for support, such as behind your back, tucked between your knees, and under your tummy Practice good sleep habits, such as going to bed and getting up at the same time each day and using your bed only for sleep and sex Go to bed a little earlier Nap if you are not able to get enough sleep at night Drink needed fluids earlier in the day, so you can drink less in the hours before bed This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

When in my pregnancy should I start a Centering Pregnancy group?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Your first group session will be when you are about 14-18 weeks pregnant. You will have 10 sessions ...
How is an ectopic pregnancy treated?
Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MDDr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
An ectopic pregnancy can be treated in two ways. If the ectopic pregnancy is caught early, the patie...
Can being pregnant affect my skin texture?
Because of hormonal fluctuations, women can experience many skin changes during pregnancy. Some exam...
What exercises help prepare me for labor and delivery?
Kathy SniderKathy Snider
There are many research studies that have shown that regular exercise during pregnancy can provide m...