Can an ectopic pregnancy be prevented?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

The best way to prevent an ectopic pregnancy is to practice safe sex methods using condoms and to not get a sexually transmitted infection.The most common cause of an ectopic pregnancy is an abnormality of the fallopian tubes.  The fallopian tubes can be damaged by either abdominal or pelvic infections or vaginal infections that extend up through the cervix and uterus and into the fallopian tubes.  Sexually transmitted infections can cause damage to the fallopian tubes, and this is a very common cause of future ectopic pregnancies.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Sounding the Alarm On Keepsake Ultrasounds
Everyone has a favorite keepsake stashed in a drawer somewhere -- a withered corsage from the prom, a yellowing newspaper write-up of the first high-s...
How Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum Treated?
How Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum Treated?
How Soon After Giving Birth Can I Have Sex?
Can I Exercise During Pregnancy?
Can I Exercise During Pregnancy?