How is an ectopic pregnancy diagnosed?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
An ectopic pregnancy is diagnosed by an abnormal rise in the pregnancy hormones along with vaginal bleeding and an ultrasound that shows the absence of an intrauterine pregnancy and/or a pregnancy seen in the fallopian tubes.  The diagnosis of an ectopic pregnancy is very difficult.  Due to the fact that this can be a life-threatening situation, it is very important that a patient stay in close contact with her doctor during the evaluation of an early pregnancy, especially if their doctor is worried that she could have an ectopic pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Moms-to-Be, Reduce Hypertension With Exercise
Kerry Walsh Jennings was pregnant with her third child when she won her third gold medal in volleyball during the 2012 London Olympics. Her husband jo...
What happens when an egg is fertilized?
After the egg drops from the ovary, it travels through the Fallopian tube, where there's about a 24-...
How much should I eat during pregnancy to avoid excessive weight gain?
Stephen Clark, DOStephen Clark, DO
Probably the best way to approach diet during pregnancy is to recognize that you should have a b...
How Soon After Giving Birth Can I Have Sex?