How do I deal with unexpected pregnancy later in life?

While those of us in their late thirties, forties, and early fifties have far fewer pregnancies than younger women, a disproportionately high percentage of pregnancies are unexpected. Slightly over half of all women aged 40 or more who get pregnant were not intending to conceive.

If you did not expect or desire to become pregnant, consider all of your options, which include having an abortion or placing the baby for adoption, as well as bearing and raising a child. Knowing that this may be your last possible pregnancy may make this a particularly difficult decision, so get as much nonjudgmental support as you can.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What is an ectopic pregnancy?
An ectopic pregnancy is an abnormal pregnancy which implants outside of the uterus. The most common ...
What do I do if I have leg pain after having a baby?
It could mean a change in blood pressure, as well as the formation of a blood clot in your leg. Your...
How Soon After Giving Birth Can I Have Sex?
What Changes Can I Expect in My Body After Giving Birth?