How can I combat hot flashes during pregnancy?

Hot flashes may feel like the body's equivalent of lightning storms, and sometimes they can feel just as impossible to control. Since there are many possible causes, it's difficult to pinpoint a single cure that works for everyone. If you do suffer from them, try these tactics to help keep you from flashing:
  1. Wear breathable, layered clothing.
  2. Don't exercise when it's hot. Mornings and evenings are better. And if midday is the only time available, swimming is an excellent choice.
  3. Talk to your doctor about possible medical reasons for the hot flashes (like thyroid issues); medications may be required to control them.
  4. Avoid taking herbs, which can do all kinds of things to your body that might throw your hormonal system out of balance.
  5. Aim to drink enough water (usually two quarts) every day to keep your urine clear enough to read through, and keep focusing on a diet that includes protein, fiber, fruits, vegetables, and grain.
  6. Keep a flash diary so you can try to identify - and then avoid - your common triggers.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Flu Shots Are Pregnancy-Approved
Flu Shots Are Pregnancy-Approved
The 2013 Korean movie Flu takes the fear of epidemic infection over the top, but luckily two brave docs risk everything to develop a vaccine. We love ...
What do doctors look for in the first ultrasound in pregnancy?
After checking the size of your belly to make sure your doctor or midwife has predicted the right ge...
How does thyroid function affect pregnancy?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
You should have your thyroid hormones checked by your doctor prior to pregnancy. If it is well contr...
How can pregnancy transform my identity?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Whether you are single or in a committed partnership, over forty or in your teens, rich or poor or m...