How can I combat hot flashes during pregnancy?

Hot flashes may feel like the body's equivalent of lightning storms, and sometimes they can feel just as impossible to control. Since there are many possible causes, it's difficult to pinpoint a single cure that works for everyone. If you do suffer from them, try these tactics to help keep you from flashing:
  1. Wear breathable, layered clothing.
  2. Don't exercise when it's hot. Mornings and evenings are better. And if midday is the only time available, swimming is an excellent choice.
  3. Talk to your doctor about possible medical reasons for the hot flashes (like thyroid issues); medications may be required to control them.
  4. Avoid taking herbs, which can do all kinds of things to your body that might throw your hormonal system out of balance.
  5. Aim to drink enough water (usually two quarts) every day to keep your urine clear enough to read through, and keep focusing on a diet that includes protein, fiber, fruits, vegetables, and grain.
  6. Keep a flash diary so you can try to identify - and then avoid - your common triggers.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Pot While Pregnant Harms Baby
Pot While Pregnant Harms Baby
Up In Smoke (Cheech and Chong, 1978) may have floated the hazy notion that smoking marijuana was harmless fun, but new research shows a woman’s chance...
Can I conceive another child if I am already pregnant?
Once a fertilized egg is implanted in the womb, your hormone levels change so that no other eggs wil...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
What Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum?
What Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum?