What causes stretch marks during pregnancy?

These striations appear when the dermis (a middle layer of skin) cracks and splits in order to expand. The redness will go away within a year, which helps immensely, but there's little you can do to eliminate stretch marks completely because once those cracks happen, the damage is done.

In the meantime, stay out of the sun so the stretch marks don't become darker and more visible. There are some other measures that may reduce their appearance.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

The Importance of Post-Partum Weight Loss
It took Reese Witherspoon eight weeks; Uma Thurman six weeks; and Heidi Klum hit the Victoria's Secret runway five weeks after delivering her fourth c...
The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Mom Brain Explained
If you’ve ever been pregnant or spent time around expectant or new moms, you may have noticed increased lapses in memory, fatigue, absentmindedness or...
Fascinating Facts About Twins and Multiples
Being a twin, triplet or quadruplet is a fascinating and unique experience, says OBGYN Jessica Shepherd, MD, an assistant professor of clinical obstet...
Considering an Epidural? Here Are Your Top 6 Questions, Answered
Considering an Epidural? Here Are Your Top 6 Questions, AnsweredConsidering an Epidural? Here Are Your Top 6 Questions, AnsweredConsidering an Epidural? Here Are Your Top 6 Questions, AnsweredConsidering an Epidural? Here Are Your Top 6 Questions, Answered
We spoke with a top OBGYN to get the scoop on this pain-relieving procedure An epidural is a powerful form of anesthesia that numbs parts of the body ...