Can I conceive another child if I am already pregnant?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

In a word, yes!!  This phenomenon is called Superfetation. Such pregnancies occur when a woman continues ovulating after becoming pregnant, and the second, fertilized egg is able to implant itself in the lining of the womb. Usually, hormonal changes prevent further ovulation and thicken the lining of the uterus to prevent a second embryo from attaching. Superfetation can occur if a woman was born with 2 uteruses, or if a different menstrual cycle occurs during a woman’s pregnancy. Medical literature says Superfetation is rare in humans and describes less than 10 cases known world-wide. It can occur spontaneously, or from artificial insemination. Usually the multiple pregnancies will be delivered at the same time, but there will be a noticeable difference in the size of the infants. A potential complication is that one of the infants [in the case of twins], will be born prematurely and may have problems with lung development. The premature infant may also experience other health complications associated with being born prematurely. True Superfetation can only be confirmed after delivery, by chromosomal and metabolic studies on the infants.

Once a fertilized egg is implanted in the womb, your hormone levels change so that no other eggs will be released from your ovaries.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Just Relax and You'll Get Pregnant: True or False?
If you have fertility issues and you’re trying to conceive, you’ve probably heard the advice “Just relax and you’ll get pregnant.” Not only is this ad...
Male Postpartum Depression is Real
Male Postpartum Depression is Real
Michael Keaton, in the 1983 film Mr. Mom, put a new face on the stay-at-home dad who wades into the responsibility—and let’s face it, the down-right v...
What can I do to work out after giving birth?
Mary ChappellMary Chappell
After vaginal delivery you can start out by walking and working out as soon as you feel like it (for...
How Can I Deal with Lack of Sex Drive While I'm Pregnant?