Can I conceive another child if I am already pregnant?

Once a fertilized egg is implanted in the womb, your hormone levels change so that no other eggs will be released from your ovaries.
Melissa Taylor
Emergency Room Nursing

In a word, yes!!  This phenomenon is called Superfetation. Such pregnancies occur when a woman continues ovulating after becoming pregnant, and the second, fertilized egg is able to implant itself in the lining of the womb. Usually, hormonal changes prevent further ovulation and thicken the lining of the uterus to prevent a second embryo from attaching. Superfetation can occur if a woman was born with 2 uteruses, or if a different menstrual cycle occurs during a woman’s pregnancy. Medical literature says Superfetation is rare in humans and describes less than 10 cases known world-wide. It can occur spontaneously, or from artificial insemination. Usually the multiple pregnancies will be delivered at the same time, but there will be a noticeable difference in the size of the infants. A potential complication is that one of the infants [in the case of twins], will be born prematurely and may have problems with lung development. The premature infant may also experience other health complications associated with being born prematurely. True Superfetation can only be confirmed after delivery, by chromosomal and metabolic studies on the infants.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

A Healthy Pregnancy Starts Before Conception
The Midas myth is a powerful allegory: A man can turn everything he touches into gold—but will starve to death since he cannot eat gold. The U.S. is o...
What are the bumps that develop on my areola during pregnancy?
In addition to other changes in your breasts, you'll develop Montgomery's tubercules—small, harmless...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
What Changes Can I Expect in My Body After Giving Birth?