Can amniocentesis be done in the first trimester?

Doctors do not recommend that you get amniocentesis done in the first trimester. There is a greater risk of miscarriage and injury to the baby at this time. Most amniocenteses are done in the second trimester and sometimes in the third.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Do You Know What Meds Are Safe to Take While Pregnant?
Pregnancy—even in our high-tech era—still seems a bit magical. So it’s not surprising that there have always been some pretty far-out ideas about what...
What are the bumps that develop on my areola during pregnancy?
In addition to other changes in your breasts, you'll develop Montgomery's tubercules—small, harmless...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
Can I Exercise During Pregnancy?
Can I Exercise During Pregnancy?