Can amniocentesis be done in the first trimester?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Doctors do not recommend that you get amniocentesis done in the first trimester. There is a greater risk of miscarriage and injury to the baby at this time. Most amniocenteses are done in the second trimester and sometimes in the third.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Pot While Pregnant Harms Baby
Pot While Pregnant Harms Baby
Up In Smoke (Cheech and Chong, 1978) may have floated the hazy notion that smoking marijuana was harmless fun, but new research shows a woman’s chance...
When in my pregnancy should I start a Centering Pregnancy group?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Your first group session will be when you are about 14-18 weeks pregnant. You will have 10 sessions ...
How is an ectopic pregnancy treated?
Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MDDr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
An ectopic pregnancy can be treated in two ways. If the ectopic pregnancy is caught early, the patie...
Can being pregnant affect my skin texture?
Because of hormonal fluctuations, women can experience many skin changes during pregnancy. Some exam...