Is breastfeeding the fastest and best way to lose weight?

Margaret L. McKenzie, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

Breastfeeding is one way to lose pregnancy weight. Watch this video for other ways to lose weight.

It helped me lose weight quickly after 2 of my births. The younger you are the quicker the weight goes. I also nursed my children into toddlerhood. I think that helped as well. I was 36 when I had my third child. It took a bit longer to lose the weight and get back into shape, but once I began an exercise program in combination with breastfeeding, it eventually came off again, just not as quickly as when I was under the age of 30.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Sounding the Alarm On Keepsake Ultrasounds
Everyone has a favorite keepsake stashed in a drawer somewhere -- a withered corsage from the prom, a yellowing newspaper write-up of the first high-s...
What are Braxton Hicks contractions?
Braxton Hick contractions, also known as false labor are irregular, infrequent tightening of the ute...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How Can I Deal with Lack of Sex Drive While I'm Pregnant?