What can I do if I experience body aches during pregnancy?

As your uterus expands, you may feel aches and pains in the back, abdomen, groin area, and thighs. Many women also have backaches and aching near the pelvic bone due the pressure of the baby's head, increased weight, and loosening joints. Some pregnant women complain of pain that runs from the lower back, down the back of one leg, to the knee or foot. This is called sciatica (SYE-AT-ick-uh). It is thought to occur when the uterus puts pressure on the sciatic nerve.

• Lie down
    • Rest
    • Apply heat

Call the doctor if pain does not get better.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What are "Pregnancy Category C" medications?
Prof. Kathy SniderProf. Kathy Snider
In 1979, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) provided us with a classification system that d...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits. When preparing for a baby, there’s so much to keep in m...
What Are the Risks for Pregnancy After Age 40?
What Is the Centering Pregnancy Model?
What Is the Centering Pregnancy Model?