What factors cause back pain and body aches during pregnancy?

During pregnancy, you will probably feel some discomfort in your back, arms, legs, or joints. Several factors may lead to this discomfort:

• Progesterone - one of the primary hormones of pregnancy - causes your joints and ligaments to loosen. This may cause aching in your hips and knees and even in your pubic bone.
  • Your growing belly changes your center of gravity and may pull your neck, shoulders, and back out of alignment.
  • The pressure of the growing uterus can constrict the veins and the nerves that go through the pelvis. This can lead to blood pooling in your legs, and to swelling, numbness, tingling, or cramping in your legs and feet.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

6 Surprises in the First Trimester
6 Surprises in the First Trimester
This past spring, as the only physician in the ER, I delivered a family’s healthy, beautiful baby right there in the critical care room. I’ve spent th...
Why do I need to rest after I deliver my baby?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
The first few days at home after having your baby are a time for rest and recovery physically and em...
How should I care for my breasts after giving birth?
Care for the breasts after childbirth is directly related to whether or not the mother will breastfe...
When Is the Proper Time to Tell Your Child They Have a Sibling On the Way?