Are identical twins truly identical?

Identical twins get dealt exactly the same DNA, but they may develop different traits down the lineóone may have allergies and the other may not, one may develop a particular disease and the other may not, one may be able to play the piano without ever learning how to read music while the other can't carry a tune with a dump truck. What accounts for these differences is something in their environmentópotentially as early as in uteroóaffected the expression of their genes differently. That something is called epigenetics.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

How can I strengthen my pelvic floor muscles after childbirth?
Missey Moe-CookMissey Moe-Cook
The best way to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles after you have delivered a baby vaginally is to...
What should I expect before, during and after amniocentesis?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Before you have amniocentesis, your blood type will be reviewed, and you will discuss the test with ...
What is pregnancy?
Dr. Teneisha C. Davis, MDDr. Teneisha C. Davis, MD
Pregnancy is defined as the interval of time when an egg is fertilized to birth.  This process usual...
How does thyroid function affect pregnancy?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
You should have your thyroid hormones checked by your doctor prior to pregnancy. If it is well contr...