Are identical twins truly identical?

Identical twins get dealt exactly the same DNA, but they may develop different traits down the lineóone may have allergies and the other may not, one may develop a particular disease and the other may not, one may be able to play the piano without ever learning how to read music while the other can't carry a tune with a dump truck. What accounts for these differences is something in their environmentópotentially as early as in uteroóaffected the expression of their genes differently. That something is called epigenetics.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...
While identical twins share the same genes, they're never truly identical because they may receive different amounts of non-genetic cellular material. In the womb, but even more so after birth and throughout life, identical twins continue to differentiate because they are exposed to different environments, a phenomenon known as "epigenetic drift."

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Mom Brain Explained
Mom Brain Explained
If you’ve ever been pregnant or spent time around expectant or new moms, you may have noticed increased lapses in memory, fatigue, absentmindedness or...
How does thyroid function affect pregnancy?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
You should have your thyroid hormones checked by your doctor prior to pregnancy. If it is well contr...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
What Medications Should I Avoid If I'm Pregnant or Trying to Get Pregnant?