What are mixed androgen and estrogen secreting tumors?

Androgen secreting tumors cause a virilizing (masculinizing) syndrome. For boys, they can lead to early onset of puberty. In girls and women, this can lead to deepening of the voice, excessive hair growth, excessive acne, increased muscle mass, ambiguous genitalia and enlargement of the clitoris.

One of the categories of sex hormone producing adrenal tumors can include mixed androgen and estrogen secreting tumors. These tumors occasionally may produce a combination of estrogens and androgens. Tumors that secrete a combination of estrogens, androgens and cortisol are more likely to be malignant.

Mixed androgen and estrogen-secreting tumors are a rare type of adrenal tumor that produce too much testosterone and estrogen. They can be difficult to diagnose because they have both feminine and masculine features. These types of tumors require surgical removal for treatment.

Continue Learning about Female Reproductive System Disorders

When should I call my doctor if I have pelvic organ prolapse?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
If you feel like something is not in the right place vaginally, you may have pelvic organ prolapse a...
How can I tell if I have pelvic prolapse?
Learn signs of a pelvic prolapse in this video with Dr. Oz, Dr. Elizabeth Mueller, Dr. Mary Pat Fitz...
Do I need to call my doctor about vaginal bleeding with an odor?
It is recommended that you call your doctor for vaginal bleeding accompanied by an odor, discharge o...
What increases my risk for pelvic organ prolapse?
Causes of pelvic organ prolapse include childbirth and prior surgery. Causes are similar to those of...