Does pelvic organ prolapse run in families?

Pelvic organ prolapse can run in families in some cases. For example, if your mother was affected by pelvic organ prolapse at some point, you are at greater risk for prolapse than someone without such a family history. Also, there is a group of hereditary genetic disorders or birth defects known as connective tissue disorders that can affect the development and structure of connective tissue and internal organs. Researchers have linked some connective tissue disorders with an increased risk for pelvic organ prolapse.

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

Pelvic organ prolapse (POP) can be hereditary. It is not uncommon that I see patients in my practice that will give a history of their sister or mother having similar problems. Pelvic organ prolapse (POP) is due to weakness in the connective tissue and if the patient has inherently weak connective tissue due to hereditary nature, there is a possibility that they could be at higher incidence for having problems with prolapse in the future. Pelvic organ prolapse (POP) is seen much more in the Caucasian population and infrequently in African americans.

Continue Learning about Female Reproductive System Disorders

Who are the best candidates for pelvic organ prolapse surgery?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
The best candidates for pelvic organ prolapse surgery are women who want definite treatment, are ver...
Do I need to call my doctor about vaginal bleeding with an odor?
It is recommended that you call your doctor for vaginal bleeding accompanied by an odor, discharge o...
What conditions can affect the uterus?
Occasionally, something happens that changes the integrity of this hardy muscular organ, causing eve...
How is pelvic organ prolapse diagnosed?
Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MDDr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
Pelvic organ prolapse (POP) is usually diagnosed by a pelvic or vaginal exam. When I see patients in...