How do medications treat pelvic organ prolapse?

Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

The most common medication used to help treat pelvic organ prolapse (POP) is estrogen. There are more estrogen receptors in the vagina than anywhere else in the body and so when a patient goes through menopause, the lack of estrogen can cause a weakness in the connective tissueof the pelvic floor. This weakness in the connective tissue can make a patient's mild prolapse become much more symptomatic. When I see patient's who are menopausal who have pelvic organ prolapse (POP), I always recommend them starting on some type of vaginal estrogen preparation to help strengthen the vaginal tissue. This will also help with their Kegel exercises and can possibly remedy their problems.

Other patients can use stool softeners or laxatives to help with bowel movements and this will also help decrease the symptoms of pelvic organ prolapse (POP), but will not remedy the problem. Lastly whenever a patient is scheduled for surgery for their pelvic organ prolapse (POP), I recommend that they be started on estrogen cream to help strengthen the vaginal tissue so the it will heal better after surgery. This will also decrease the chances of them having any types of problems with vaginal mesh erosion after surgery.

Medications are not typically used to treat pelvic organ prolapse as it is an anatomic problem, much like breaking a bone is not typically treated with medications.

In some cases, some symptoms of pelvic organ prolapse might be treated with over-the-counter or prescription medications. For example, if bowel movements are an issue, your doctor might have you take laxatives to soften your stools. If you are postmenopausal, your doctor might have you try local vaginal estrogen therapy because low estrogen levels can affect the strength of the vaginal muscles. Medications are most likely to be used in combination with other treatment options.

Continue Learning about Female Reproductive System Disorders

How does pelvic organ prolapse affect the body?
Henrico Doctors' Hospital  - HCA VirginiaHenrico Doctors' Hospital - HCA Virginia
Pelvic organ prolapse affects the body in a number of ways. Pelvic organ prolapse refers to a hernia...
What is the rate of incidence for pelvic organ prolapse?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Pelvic organ prolapse affects up to 50% of women after the age of 50. The majority of these women wi...
What are the symptoms of pelvic organ prolapse?
Johnston-Willis Hospital - HCA VirginiaJohnston-Willis Hospital - HCA Virginia
The symptoms of pelvic organ prolapse include the following: a feeling of pressure in the vaginal ar...
What increases my risk for pelvic organ prolapse?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Causes of pelvic organ prolapse include childbirth and prior surgery. Causes are similar to those of...