How do I manage my pelvic organ prolapse on a daily basis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

How you manage your pelvic organ prolapse on a daily basis will depend on the severity of the prolapse and the organ affected. You might have few or no symptoms in the case of a mild prolapse. A more severe prolapse might mean you have to address urinary or bowel issues, such as incontinence or constipation.

In order to strengthen your pelvic muscles, your doctor is likely to ask you to perform Kegel exercises on a daily basis. This involves repeatedly tensing and relaxing muscles at the base of your pelvis several times a day. In more severe cases, your doctor may fit you with a small device called a pessary, which supports the prolapsed organ from within the vagina. You will need to remove and clean the pessary on a regular basis. In severe cases surgery may be required.

In order to strengthen your pelvic muscles, your doctor is likely to ask you to perform Kegel exercises on a daily basis. This involves repeatedly tensing and relaxing muscles at the base of your pelvis several times a day. In more severe cases, your doctor may fit you with a small device called a pessary, which supports the prolapsed organ from within the vagina. You will need to remove and clean the pessary on a regular basis.

A specific type of exercise—pelvic floor exercises, or Kegels—can help symptoms of pelvic organ prolapse. A physical therapist can also provide exercises that may improve symptoms, although not the degree of prolapse. The prolapsed organ doesn’t go back.

Continue Learning about Female Reproductive System Disorders

How can I tell if I have pelvic prolapse?
Memorial Hospital of TampaMemorial Hospital of Tampa
If you can see or feel a bulge coming out of your vaginal area, you may have pelvic prolapse.
How does pelvic organ prolapse affect the body?
With a pelvic organ prolapse, one or more of a woman's pelvic organs drop or push into her vaginal c...
Is pelvic organ prolapse serious?
Though often bothersome, pelvic organ prolapse usually is not serious. Some patients do not even hav...
What are the treatment options for female genital problems?
There are a variety of treatment options for female genital problems. In some cases, no medical trea...