How can I tell if I have pelvic prolapse?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Learn signs of a pelvic prolapse in this video with Dr. Oz, Dr. Elizabeth Mueller, Dr. Mary Pat Fitzgerald and Dr. Kimberly Kenton.

You can tell if you have pelvic prolapse based on the symptoms:

• pressure in the vagina
  • something protruding through the opening of the vagina
  • dryness
  • painful intercourse
  • trouble initiating going to the bathroom
  • trouble emptying all the way
  • recurrent infection
  • incontinence of urine or stool

To find out for sure if you have pelvic prolapse, see an OBGYN who deals with prolapse regularly or a urogynecolgist.

If you can see or feel a bulge coming out of your vaginal area, you may have pelvic prolapse.

Continue Learning about Female Reproductive System Disorders

What is a urethrocele (urethral prolapse)?
Kevin W. Windom, MDKevin W. Windom, MD
The urethra is the tube that comes out of the bladder and allows you to urinate. The word “cele” mea...
Is pelvic organ prolapse serious?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Though often bothersome, pelvic organ prolapse usually is not serious. Some patients do not even hav...
Does a hysterectomy increase my risk for pelvic organ prolapse?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Having a hysterectomy can increase your risk for pelvic organ prolapse. A hysterectomy is the surgic...
What are mixed androgen and estrogen secreting tumors?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Androgen secreting tumors cause a virilizing (masculinizing) syndrome. For boys, they can lead to ea...