How do I do the exercises that treat pelvic organ prolapse?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

A targeted type of exercise that strengthens the pelvic muscles is often used to treat the symptoms that accompany pelvic organ prolapse. Known as Kegel exercises, they target the pelvic muscles that help support the vagina, urethra, and rectum. In order to perform Kegel exercises, you tighten the pelvic muscles in your vagina, bladder, and anus and count to 10 when you are sitting, lying down, or standing and your bladder is empty. Then you relax the muscles and count to 10. You then repeat these two steps five to 10 times, preferably three times a day. It takes a while for the effects of Kegel exercises to become obvious, but you should notice improvement in your symptoms within four to six weeks.

Continue Learning about Female Reproductive System Disorders

What is Asherman's syndrome?
Asherman’s syndrome is a rare condition characterized by fibrosis of the endometrium, caused by the ...
What conditions can affect the uterus?
Occasionally, something happens that changes the integrity of this hardy muscular organ, causing eve...
How do I manage my pelvic organ prolapse on a daily basis?
How you manage your pelvic organ prolapse on a daily basis will depend on the severity of the prolap...
What is a urethrocele (urethral prolapse)?
Kevin W. Windom, MDKevin W. Windom, MD
The urethra is the tube that comes out of the bladder and allows you to urinate. The word “cele” mea...