What do I need to know about caring for someone with pelvic organ prolapse?

If you are caring for a woman with pelvic organ prolapse, it will be important to keep an eye on her symptoms and seek medical attention if they get worse. For example, you may need to keep an eye on her bowel movements and urine output, especially if she is unable to communicate. A mild prolapse is likely to have no symptoms or relatively minor ones, but a more severe prolapse can have bothersome complications, including bladder or bowel incontinence and constipation.

If the woman you are caring for is able to perform daily Kegel exercises, you can encourage her to stick to a regular routine of doing them several times a day, because this will help alleviate such symptoms as incontinence. If you are responsible for preparing her food, you can consult with her doctor to see if dietary changes are needed, such as increasing fiber content or reducing fluids to address bowel or urinary issues.

Continue Learning about Female Reproductive System Disorders

What conditions can affect the uterus?
Occasionally, something happens that changes the integrity of this hardy muscular organ, causing eve...
What are the symptoms of female genital problems?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Women can experience a variety of genital problems that may be caused by infections, sexually transm...
Do I need to call my doctor about vaginal bleeding with an odor?
It is recommended that you call your doctor for vaginal bleeding accompanied by an odor, discharge o...
Is there a cure for pelvic organ prolapse?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
"Cure" for pelvic organ prolapse depends upon the extent of the weakening and descent of the pelvic ...