Are there alternative treatments for pelvic organ prolapse?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Yes there are alternative treatments for pelvic organ prolapse (POP). If the patient has mild pelvic organ prolapse (POP), I often times will start them on estrogen vaginal cream and Kegel exercises. If this is not successful, sometimes I will have them see a physical therapist to perform biofeedback therapy that will help strengthen the pelvic and vaginal muscles and it can sometimes remedy mild pelvic organ prolapse (POP).

The most commonly used alternative treatment for pelvic organ prolapse is a set of exercises designed to strengthen the muscles at the bottom of the pelvis. Known as Kegel exercises, they target the muscles around the vagina, urethra, and rectum. With the help of their doctor or a physical therapist, some women use biofeedback devices, specially designed vaginal inserts, or electrical stimulation devices to help them with these types of exercises.

Continue Learning about Female Reproductive System Disorders

Does a hysterectomy increase my risk for pelvic organ prolapse?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Having a hysterectomy can increase your risk for pelvic organ prolapse. A hysterectomy is the surgic...
More Answers
What are obliterative techniques?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Obliterative techniques are the simplest operative techniques for pelvic organ prolapse. There are a...
More Answers
Do I need to call my doctor about vaginal bleeding with an odor?
Dr. Mehmet Oz, MDDr. Mehmet Oz, MD
It is recommended that you call your doctor for vaginal bleeding accompanied by an odor, discharge o...
More Answers
What is pelvic organ prolapse?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
In pelvic organ prolapse, there is a weakening of the support structures of the vagina. Organs that ...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.